Blake was sick one day when we were in Utah during the summer. He had woken up during the night with a fever. I didn't take his temp but knew he had a fever so gave him some meds and he went back to sleep. He woke up the next morning hot so I re medicated him. Later that morning he took a little nap then woke up again hot. He refused to take medicine so as I was over at the sink trying to figure out a way to bribe him into taking the Motrin I hear my mom calmly say "Tami, he's seizing". WHAT? I go hauling over to where he was in their rocking chair to see what I could do. My mom rocks. She was trying to keep him protected and walk me through what was happening (she was a nurse). All the while the girls are nearby watching TV and they had no clue what was happening!
There is no better place I could have been for him to have seized. I've never had a kid who has seizured before. Once it was done we took his temp them worked at getting it to drop. When his temp finally dropped he did great. Poor kid was pretty sleepy and lethargic for a while but luckily it never happened again. I am a lot more worried when he gets a fever now (he's now 30% more likely to have another seizure if he spikes a fever). Sad day but I am just thankful I had parents there to keep me calm and more importantly keep Blakers safe. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
3 comments:
Poor Blakers :( I HATE fevers, they are so scary. Thank heavens your Mom was there and new what to do. Glad he's doing okay!
You know, I never take my kids temp either. I can just tell, and it makes John super mad because he thinks I'm just guessing and will miss a fever one day. I'm glad everything went ok--how scary.
So scary! The one time one of my kids did that, it was Ben. He was bout 2 or 3 and had been really sick. We were in the doctor's office exam room thank freaking goodness!!! Scared the crap out of me! Makes you grateful for those small favors of being in the right place at the right time, no?
Post a Comment