Friday, February 27, 2009

It finally happened ...

Well, it finally happened. I taught my daughter her first swear word. I figured it would have happened a long time ago.  Taeya has a research project due on Jack Rabbits so we went online and researched where they live, what they eat, how they survive, etc. At one point she asked how they got the name Jack Rabbit. I had read it on one site but figured we'd just skip that topic. After her question I explained that initially people thought they looked like Jackasses and so called them Jackass Rabbits. Eventually it was shortened to Jack Rabbits. So she asked what a Jackass was and I explained its another word for Donkey and she said she'd rather call a Donkey a Jackass than a Donkey. I then explained that ass is not a nice word and we should just say Donkey instead. Then she asked what an Ass is. Lovely! Tony and I both figured the first swear words our girls would learn would be "ah hell" but nope, I taught my kid Jackass! Sign me up for Mother of the Year yet again!

9 comments:

McKelle said...

Well it could be worse...she could be dropping F bombs!!

Amy Peterson said...

I can't believe my 3 year old beat Taeya to it!

Brandy said...

Am I really supposed to think poorly of you over this? I'm beaming! I think it's hella fantastic. So cute to hear little kids swear. Mason is gonna be lucky if it's a mere swear word he learns first vs. some profane thing such as d*&khead. So funny. I admit, I would've laughed harder if it had been a mimic swear word, not a school project learned thing, but I'll take what I can get. I've got bets on Aliya!

The Hatch's said...

Consider yourself nominated right up there with the rest of us.

Robin said...

Tam- I wouldn't worry too much. About a month ago Carter demonstrated his listening skills when he repeated a word from the Katy Perry song "hot 'n cold". I asked him if he would like to put his socks on while he was getting dressed and he said "no, my feet are hot like a bitch". I have had to ban that song from all playlists in my house, and edit many other songs too. I explained why that wasn't a nice word and I would like to report that he used it once and forgot about it. But, no, what is forbidden is fascinating and he as tried to get away with saying it since by asking "mom, why is bitch a bad word?" Darn kids are just too smart.
p.s. hope i haven't offended anyone. Should I have typed b@*ch? ;)

Beck said...

Love it! I thought it would be Aliya saying "Damn kid!" (since you say that oh so often to/about her :)

If it makes you feel better, that was Tan's first swear word... that he called me! He was in Kindergarten and came home and we were on my bed talking about something and he said, "Mom, you're such a jackass." (and was as sweet and innocent as could be). Go figure after some interigating, he got it from Brent and now I'm having to censor F bombs and things like that from him. Oh the joys of middle school. :)

Mothe said...

Tam, Uncle Kevin just laughed when I read this to him!! Mom/Grandma has called me a couple times while she has been staying with you and she has had such a great time! I am sure you have thoroughly enjoyed having her there too! I love you all, Aunt Becky

Karin said...

Look at the clarity in which you "taught" your daughter a swear word. James heard the same word and was told by a cousin it is a "swear word" (new term) then proceeded to ask why we had a swear word on a wall saying at home.
"AS for me and my house, we will serve the Lord."
As, James, AS. not 2 s's......

Karin said...

PS- you asked about where we donated elizabeth's hair- i asnwered you, but as a comment on my own blog, so you likely didn't ever see it- go to:
http://www.beautifullengths.com/en_US/requirements.jsp
they only require 8 inches. And as I said- if tony wants to keep their hair long, let TONY be in charge of washing, combing through, and keeping up with all what-30+ inches of hair for a week!