Friday, October 24, 2008

New Family Member!

One Sunday afternoon at church, Tony pulled his scriptures out of their case when something came scurrying out. For those of you that know Tony, you know he HATES bugs, spiders etc. It gave him a little surprise then he realized it was a LIZARD. Yep, somehow an ity-bitty lizard had climbed into his scripture bag.  I heard Tony say "Babe, look at this". I thought it was a cute little sucker! 
He then brings the girls over (all while trying to be quiet and not attract attention) to see it. They of course were all excited and immediately wanted to hold it. I told him to put it back in his case and take it outside to let it free. Since Tony is a nice Dad, he took the girls with him to release Lizzie (the girls immediately named 'her'). Well, twenty minutes later they returned -- with the lizard! The girls had convinced him into letting them keep her as a pet. I am totally cool with keeping a lizard as a pet. Growing up, my little brother had all sorts of reptiles/bugs/rodents. I told Tony rather than roasting Lizzie through the rest of church (and worry about her getting smooshed) to take her home and make a little home for her.  
After church, I found Lizzie living in a nice Tupperware home. I guess my dear husband didn't have many reptiles when he was a kid! He put some grass in there, a piece of lettuce and half a grape (he said he felt bad because when he unzipped his case, somehow Lizzie lost part of her tail -- whoops!)
A couple days later, Tony took the girls to get Lizzie a real home (and real food). The kids love to watch her and try to find her in her ENORMOUS home (she's only an inch long -- not sure why she needs a huge aquarium). I love these last two pictures. It shows how things often happen at our house. The girls were having fun sitting on the floor watching Lizzie and Blake loves to be by his sissies so he crawls over to them. Tae was nice and helped him stand by her cage so he could look in. I went to snap a pictures, Blake goes for a handful of hair (tempting I know) and Aliya reacted in true Aliya form (see photo below). I just kept shooting so I have pictures of her going from total smiles, to yelling "No Blakey" and all upset then back to smiles all in about ten shots.

7 comments:

Amy Peterson said...

Hey I think all lizards here are missing part of their tail-you know our own "Joey" was missing his tail! I'm impressed that your girls will hold the lizard. I would pee my pants! I'm so happy that she found a great home. = )

Brandy said...

Lizards are about the only reptile I'm okay with. I'm like Tony is-no bugs/creepy crawly things. How fun for your family to have a new pet. Admittedly, I had wished you were pregnant, but then the title may have been 'Tami, on suicide watch' instead.

Ticey said...

Not everyday you can say a lizard climbs out of your scriptures huh??!! Well looks like Lizzie found a great home to come to!! I love the last 2 pictures - they totally crack me up!!

Marky said...

That is so funny, I guess I'm like Tony because I don't do well with creepy crawlies!! But glad the kids like her, and I love the last picture of Aliya.. To cute!

Sarah said...

So I made Caleb release his frog he caught, that he was keeping, into the wild. It was in an applesauce jar because I refused to buy an aquarium like he wanted. I guess I am a cheapo mother, but I already knew that! You are way cooler parents! (I already knew that too.)

Karin said...

I'm impressed with your blogging of daily life... And impressed with the new family member!

Beck said...

when I told Parker about lizzy, Parker wants Lizzy to come visit Peter and maybe they can get married. I then showed him Lizzy and he said with his birthday money he would buy Taeya and Aliya a "real lizard" and that Peter eats crickets bigger than her :). I reminded them they are girls and that this was "good size" for them and he said "cool". So we are back to loving cousin lizzy :)