Saturday, September 20, 2008

Calling all Mommies . . .

Yet again, I need your help. As I posted earlier my dear little Hector (aka Blakers - for some reason when my kids reach the crawling stage I give them a hispanic nickname that I only use when they are driving me crazy) is mobile. Its killing me! I realized the other day that I have never had a crawler with stairs in our house. With Tae we lived in a ghetto duplex until she was 2. Aliya was born into an awesome home with stairs (we still miss our Boise house) but we moved before she was crawling. In Sierra Vista, the land of ramblers, there was no need to worry. Here I am certain my youngest is going to meet his death on the rock hard tile at the end of our stairs. Here is my question:

 Any suggestions for blocking the stairs, aside from a gate?

With two older kiddos, it is hard to do a gate unless I want to haul their hineys over the gate each time they want to go upstairs. Nor do I want to buy the gate that you have to screw into the wall (which in our case is the wooden spindles).  Any suggestions/remedies would be greatly appreciated. Its nice to know I can turn to a whole slew of women wiser than me!

11 comments:

Marky said...

I am sorry I have no advice for you, but I wish you good luck!! Gotta keep that little Blake safe, he is so cute!!

Beck said...

now you know why I'm not freaked out when Mason fell/falls down a few stairs bc having all 4 kids with stairs...it will happen (if it doesn't happen...well congrats to you!!!) So just knows it builds character?? :) If you put a kitchen chair, he'll figure it out, but if you want gates I can mail you mine :) (if not they're going to the neighbor...so let me know)

Good luck! There's nothing I can think of that's not a barricade that the girls (and Tony hee hee, I've seen him do those) won't have to climb over....HUM........

Unknown said...

Could you slide some sort of board (Home Depot?) in between the railings that would be short enough for your girls to easily get over? I feel your pain though about moving kids - mine are now moving chairs around to climb onto the tables, counters, vanities, whatever and it's driving me NUTS!

Sarah said...

Ron suggests keeping an eye on Hector! Just kidding. We had stairs in our house in Maryland where Ainsley was born and learned to crawl and walk. I just taught her how to go up and down the stairs as fast as I could. I refused to climb over a gate so just made do and hoped she never fell. Our neighbor kid fell down once, but never my kids! Good luck.

Tam said...

Ron OBVIOUSLY doesnt know my parenting style -- ignore them until there is blood or continuous screams! Guess I COULD start watching my kids but what fun is there in that? Next he'll be telling me I should love and feed them!

Rebecca said...

Welcome to the world of tumbling children. The sooner you can train him to go up and down the stairs on his belly the better.
Have you thought about a swinging gate that you can lift and latch? The girls and the "giant" boy could maneuver the stairs, without baby.

Brandy said...

Teach, teach, teach. That's all you can do and hope for the best. We have a rambler, so Mason can get shut out with a door to the stairs. He knows how to crawl up them, but I'm still working on the crawling down. They will fall. I would suggest maybe putting pillows at the bottom of your tile, for the first little while. Tony and the girls can easily maneuver around them and maybe it will give you some comfort if the inevitable happens. Mason won't stay off of my rock hearth and yes, he's fallen off it backwards numerous times. That's only ONE stair! Sheesh.

Brandy said...

Oh, I think loving, feeding, watching, attending to your kids is a ridiculous goal. Shoot for the attainable, like maybe ignoring them long enough to shower. Ha Ha

Tam said...

Come on people -- I dont want to have to teach him anything, little turd is learning quick enough. I just want a miracle solution so that I can ignore him and know he wont crack his head open (yes there is some sarcasm there but there is also a bit of truth as most of you understand).

Anonymous said...

How about a slide:)

The Hatch's said...

This is the best suggestion and it worked for us. When we were staying at my parents for a couple of weeks at Christmas time Emily wouldn't stay off the stairs. We are lazy a decided to go for the fear factor. My mom owns a pretty big nut cracker so Spencer decided to use it as the stair guard. She came over to it and Spencer scared the crap out of her by making up a voice to it and movie it's mouth. Worked like a charm. Maybe we were lucky but it kept us from having to get up all the time.