Monday, August 11, 2008

First Grade begins

Taeya started school today and was so excited. She luckily loves school and was so excited to get back. Her teacher is Mrs. Roach and she seems really fun and energetic. I was a little bit hesitant when I heard two of the mean girls from last year would be in her class. We've had a couple discussions that even though they are mean, she still needs to be nice to them. Hopefully she can make some good friends in this class.

 Taeya is getting so big and independent. She knew exactly what she wanted to wear and how she wanted her hair done. Some days I override her decision but for the most part I am trying to stay out of the way and let her make those decisions (which for those of you who know me well know that I hate to let go of that control - I'm working on it).
Yesterday we went to my favorite hair blog and she picked out what she wanted (it looks cuter with bows but she said no bows -- too girlie). This year she had a big say in what school stuff she wanted. When we went to get new shoes she wanted Hannah Montana tennis shoes which I quickly vetoed. Luckily she picked a cute pair of Nikes that will hopefully survive.  She picked out a HM backpack/messenger bag and a Camp Rock lunch box. I swore I'd never be the mom to dress my kid in character stuff.  I've tried to fight it but I am rapidly losing to HSM, HM, Jonas Brothers etc. Dang Disney is raking in the $$$. 
This picture is exactly how I thought this first day of school would go: Tae is totally excited, Aliya is ticked Tae gets to go to school and Blakers could care less. Luckily Aliya was invited to a birthday party which helped keep her somewhat happy. She'll start school the end of this month and says its 'no fair' Taeya gets to go to school. Yep, we've already started the 'fair' arguments. 

9 comments:

Mothe said...

Oh my, a flood a memories just passed me by.....it really doesn't seem that long ago that I was sending our girls off to school and I too was worrying about the friends (that is a forever worry), the teacher, school work etc. Those years really do pass by so quickly, like the song says "don't blink"!! Have a super school year girls, you are both so beautiful!! Blakers is going to love all of his one on one time with Mommy now! Love you all, Aunt Becky

Ceri said...

Love the hair-do! It will be a sad day when Camryn protest the giry hair bows! They cover up my mistakes and make the hair-do look way better! Have fun at school little chicka!

suni said...

wow - 1st grade! how fun. max is so excited to start kindergarten. i like to think i'm excited, but i'm sure i'll be a bit sad as well. hope she has a great year!

Ticey said...

Wow I can't believe Tae is all ready going to first grade. She's just going to have so much fun. Tell Aliya not to worry her time will come (believe it or not there will probably even be a day when you have to force her to go to school cause she doesn't want to anymore :) Good Luck with school Tae!! Love you all!!

The Webbs said...

Hi Tammy, you have such a cute family! I am getting ready to send my first off to kindergarten. I've heard it's hard and there are often tears involved, I'm pretty sure mine will be tears of joy :) We look forward to summer to throw our routines out the window and then can't wait for fall to so we can get our routines back.
I haven't seen Mike & Julie for years, please tell them hi for us (they were neighbors of ours 5+ years ago).
I think the last time I saw you was up at the U and here we are 10 years and 3 kids later, wow!
Hope you are doing well :)
Jenna (Crane) Webb

The Bodily Family said...

Poor Aliya she has the saddest faces. I wouldn't worry to much about Taeya picking out her own clothes. She has good taste just like her mother.

Beck said...

Yeah, TAE! I'm so proud of you and happy you get to go to first grade. You'll have to check our blog in a few days to see what my kids are wearing the first day to school. Tan is so big now, he gets to go to Middle School... SCARY! I love you and miss all of you tons!

Marky said...

Tae, you are growing up so fast!! You look so cute and grown up on your first day of school.. Hope it went great!! I can't believe how fast kids grow up. They are all so sweet.. We love you all!

The Hatch's said...

We had the very same "fair" argument at our house. Brandon doesn't start until after labor day. So how many more days is that?