Its true what they say: everything IS bigger in Texas ... especially swim team. It is ridiculous just how crazy it is here! Last year there was no way I could have sanely managed all the chaos surrounding it but this year I felt up to the challenge. I've survived ... barely! Every day after school the girls had practice and now in the summer they continue to have practice. Tae's starts at 7 a.m. ... yep, 7a.m in the summer. Aliya's isn't until 9 but even that is early.
Our Saturdays are shot! We check in with the coach just a bit after 7 a.m. and are done around 2ish. Those poor people with older swimmers are there even later. While we are at the meets we are rarely just kicking back enjoying the day. Usually we are volunteering in one form or another. We lucked out this year and haven't had to do anything too terrible. There are team moms that are in charge of each age group. Those women deserve medals. They are there before the kids to set up, stay later to take down THEN are stuck entertaining the kids in between their heats. Its crazy!
Swim team is something that is a TON of work yet a lot of fun. The girls have improved loads, which is all we ask, and have even gotten some ribbons along the way! Here are some pictures from their first two meets:
The first meet was so cold ... it was maybe in the low 80's. I know that sounds down right pleasant to some but to us, its chilly. I had a hoodie on that I never took off. The kids are separated into age group (6 and under, 7 & 8's etc as well as boys/girls ... it makes the groups somewhat manageable). Here Aliya's group was doing all they could to keep warm!
Check out Aliya's arm: each kid is written on to let them (and others) know which heat they'll be racing in. The first # is the100yd Free relay, 2nd is 25yd Free and last is 25yd backstroke.
Aliya is all ready to go. I love the look of determination on her face. This is her first ever relay. I was so nervous she was going to go early. She did great! This race they took first place ... yay!
I love her dive. They didn't work on it much in practice, just kind of let the kids go at it, and it was funny, and painful, to watch. Most kids flopped but just kept on going!
Here is Aliya's Free style dive ... again a flop but girlfriend just kept going!
BIG arms Aliya, BIG arms!
The little guys can take a break if needed. The first meet she stopped maybe twice but kept pluggin through. The next meet she'd discovered how nice it is to stop and take a break on the rope. Luckily she isn't doing that anymore ... well, at least not at the meets. Practice is another story!
At this point my heart was swelling with pride. I was so proud of her for pushing through it and doing so well. You could just see the determined look in her face!
Aliya's next race is the backstroke.
Keep going!Aren't these the cutest girls ever!
L-R: Kylie, Aliya, Kiera, Riley, Jewel, , Lauren & Carlie
Taeya typically has quite the list of numbers on her arm. They'll only let them swim in 5 heats. She is typically on both relays (100 medley and 100 Free) and Free style, backstroke, breaststroke, or butterfly. I am impressed how well she's picked up Fly. The first meet she said all she did was flop around like a dying fish but she makes it look good! She's got these long, lean limbs that makes things look effortless. I think Backstroke is going to be her stroke. She makes it look so easy!
Her diving definitely needed work and luckily its improved. Being the mean parents though, we had to get pictures of her first couple 'dives'. Not sure how those are dives but they are fun to look at!
Yet another 'dive'. Do you like the graffiti on her back? The kids like to write on themselves with the markers that are used to write the #'s on their arms. Problem is they are permanent! Tae luckily just had "eat my bubble's" but there were some boys COVERED in sharpie. We are talking red curly que mustaches, chest hair, MOM written on their chests with the O being their nipples, etc. Hilarious to look at and a bit more funny because they are not my kid!
Rocking the breast stroke!
Her gorgeous backstroke!
Tae has done so well! She's stepped up to every challenge they've thrown at her!
Wonder what the rest of us are doing during swim meets?
We love to cheer on our sissies!
And we love to sit and eat snacks! Typically the boys don't stay for too long. Its gotten too hot for them (and for us to fight them). Its crazy to think that next year Blake will be old enough for swim team. I don't think his poor coaches are up for that. We may still just have the girls swim next year. As much work as it is, I am excited to do it again and watch how much the girls will improve!
3 comments:
Wow, that looks like a lot of work! We have been doing the same with baseball/dancing taking up all of our spare time! I did get a little chuckle out of 80 being cold. We have sat through many a baseball game in the snow this spring. These are the things we will miss terribly when the kids are grown!
I love the swim pics and everything you wrote. You nailed it!! HUGE commitment, but so fun! I'm glad your fam is loving it. It really is amazing how much they learn that first year.
Tami, 80 degrees is hot. If I go to hell, which I likely will, I'm sure it will be at least 80 degrees.
Post a Comment