Tuesday, September 1, 2009

New Pet

Just before we left Phoenix we found a new pet in our yard. I am so grateful we only 'discovered' this guy the week before we moved. Had we not I would have been out of there a long time ago. Let me preface this by saying I am not afraid of spiders. I will kill them no problem. Growing up I'd always have to go downstairs to kill spiders for my big sister. I am not a bleeding liberal that wont kill and 'innocent' animal. I figure if you come in my house, you deserve to die. This spider FREAKED me out. Tony and I were doing something when walking back into the house I noticed his HUGE spider by Blakers toy. Tony grabbed our lovely microwave cover so we could 'contain' it (i.e. not have to touch it) and show the girls the following day. Honestly, when it was spread out it had a good 3-4 inch leg span.
This is the next afternoon after we showed the girls. They were impressed but not nearly as freaked out as their parents. When it came time to release it, the dumb thing didn't move. He just hung out. We went inside and figured he moved along to the neighbors yard. I didn't have the heart to kill something so big (okay, honestly I didn't know how to properly kill something that big. Even one of Tony's big ole shoes would have had Sun spider guts all over it).
Imagine my disgust when Taeya noticed that not only had he not left our yard like I kindly told him to, but he'd taken up residency on the screen of our family room. Ewww! Luckily Tony hadn't left town yet and was able to relocate him over the fence and near a busy road (again, I couldn't kill it). Thankfully we never saw him again!

4 comments:

Ticey said...

EWWW - I HATE spiders!!! I can't kill them either if they are that big. A normal spider - no big deal. But something about them being so big I am afraid it is going to attack me or something.

Charakie said...

I would have moved into the Holiday Inn for a few days. It's as big as Tony's fist! Miss you guys.

Frehner Family said...

K..right there with ya'll. There has been a few in our lovely backyard and I can't squish them when they're that big for fear of missing and have it come attack me with its lightning fast legs and killer fangs, but I also can't leave it in my yard knowing my kids play out there so~ I use bleach. Like a sissy, I stand out there puring a gallon container of bleach (the spray means I need to be somewhat close so that's out) and pour until it doesn't move anymore. Yes. I know. I'm crule but seriously...they'll freaky! And I hope all spiders in my yard watch so they know what's coming to them if they dare show themselves. Man I guess I've lived in Arizona too long..or maybe not long enough. Anyhow.
Good luck to you Friday!

McKelle said...

That really is creepy!

BTW saw your cute pics that your sister posted on Facebook...cute belly, you suck for just gaining belly...you look great!