I've been waiting to update on our lives until I had some pics to post but our office is the only room my parents didn't get unpacked so who knows when we'll get that up and running. Until then I am using Tony's laptop and wireless Internet thingy. No pics but I can at least let you all know what we've been up to!
The past couple weeks have been whirlwind. We left Phoenix on Friday, July 3rd, spent the night in Tucson, started our MAMMOTH drive and arrived in Houston on Sunday the 5th. We'd planned to spread it out over another day but the kids did so well we pushed through. I swear I was the one who struggled the most in the car. I finally found one way to get Blake to watch TV and that is to strap him into his car seat for 9 hours with nothing else to do.
We saw our house for the first time on Monday. I love it. When we made our list of the things we wanted it to have (even the dreaming things i.e. double ovens) this house has it all. My only complaint is that there is tile everywhere on the main level but we can remedy that with a couple huge rugs I hope. The kids were like monkeys on crack when we got here. I don't know if it was being cooped up in the car for so many days or if they were just excited but they'd zoom through rooms and tear up one staircase then race down another. The girls were excited to pick out their rooms and immediately planned how they wanted them to look.
The following day we signed all the paperwork for the house. That was quite the adventure to haul all three kids to! The house funded and we got the keys the next day. We had the carpets and tile cleaned on Wednesday then the plan was to have all our junk delivered on Thursday. Thursday my parents were scheduled to arrive as well. We found out late Wednesday evening that our stuff wouldn't be delivered until Friday. In the end it turned out probably for the better because we were able to pick up my parents with no problem sand get some of the house wiped down before our stuff arrived.
Friday turned out to be a complete and utter mess. Our stuff was supposed to be delivered at 9 so we got the kids up early only to find out that it wouldn't be delivered until 11. Eventually the moving truck showed up at 12:30 and the circus began. I cant even begin to express how grateful I am that my parents were here. Had they not been I would have been screwed. Between trying to guide the movers where to put stuff to fighting kids, it took all three of us to manage. Of course it was the hottest day of the year so the poor movers were drenched in sweat. At one point I was almost in tears because they were dripping sweat on my clean tile floors. Dumb yes but it was so clean!
The packers on the Phoenix end were HORRIBLE. Boxes were mislabeled, or not even labeled at all then they were stuck on the truck in the most random way possible. A mover would bring in a dolly loaded with a box for the garage, the kitchen and a kids bedroom. Why they weren't somewhat grouped according to room is beyond me. Once we started in on the boxes we were greeted with another surprise. They essential tossed whatever, wherever. In one big box we had my huge 8 foot fake tree, 3 random pieces of wood, Tony's old day planner, a light bulb box and a hose. Now tell me, where did they find all that crap and WHY did they put it all in the same box?
Over the next couple days my parents had this house whipped in to shape! They busted their butts to get everything looking great and incredibly organized. My poor Dad spent hours upon hours out in Tony's garage getting everything put away and organized. By the time they left on Wednesday the home AND yard were completely done. I cant even begin to express how thankful I am that they came. I would have been a complete wreck! I think I'd still be sitting in the middle of my kitchen with boxes surrounding me bawling! Thank you, thank you, a million THANK YOU's!
We are getting adjusted to the area and our neighborhood. I miss how close everything was when we lived in PHX but I love how green and lush everything is here. We seem to have some great neighbors and look forward to getting to know them all better. Two days before we moved here we found out that we live right next door to my sisters mother-in-law. It is nice to have 'family' so close.
Tony's job has been going well. He still feels like the new kid but that will take some time. So far he's traveled each week but luckily not for long periods of time. Last week he was gone for our 10 year anniversary. I must say we got each other a pretty cool house for our anniversary this year! I cant believe we've been married 10 years but yet it feels like we've been together forever. I love you Tony!
5 comments:
So glad you made it safe and sound and are adjusting well. Keep the posts coming!
Moving is such a pain even if you have movers. It sounds like everything turned out well though. I'm anxious to see pictures of the new house. When is that baby coming?
Glad you are all settled - we sure miss you guys though!! Good luck with the transition.
Just because you are pregnant and just moved and have 3 other kids, doesn't mean you don't have to post pix of your new place! I'm still in SV for a few more days. I head home on Tuesday. It will be nice to get in to our own routine. I've practically had my mom around since Andrew was born and he's 2 1/5 months. We miss you guys, especially when we are here visiting. Hope all is well. My husband says we're going to visit his brother in Houston (they live in Humble) in Sept. Ron deploys the end of Sept so I dont' know that we really have the time, but if we come we'll have to rendezvous somewhere!
Later-
Sarah
What? you didn't get a big yellow Penske truck, pack it, drive it, and unpack it yourself?? you totally missed out! haha. We had a few things shift during our drive, but not bad - especially when Scott packs a truck. You know he did work at UPS at one time. Yes, his list of jobs keeps growing. Happy to hear you love your house and the area.
Post a Comment